- The Meatrix
- Louis Fox
- Spojené státy
- 4 min.
- practice grammar and improve understanding of spoken word in a foreign language
- think about the living conditions of animals in industrial farming
- realize our own stance on meat consumption
Do you know what the Meatrix is? It is the generally spread lie about the origin of meat, which we believe in. At least this is what the authors of this witty, animated parody on the popular sci-fi movie Matrix tell us. The mysterious bull Moopheus unveils the truth to Leo, the pig, about his life, when he offers him a pill, which discloses the truth about the real world he lives in. The pleasant family-owned farm, where Leo has been living until now disappears and Leo and Moopheus find themselves in a large-scale industrial hog farm. Leo gradually finds out how people treat farm animals: they keep them in small enclosed spaces with no opportunity to run outside and give them low quality feed. At the same time, large farm are a burden on the environment in the surrounding area. Will Leo want to return to the fantasy land or will he decide to fight for the truth and join Moopheus and his friends?
materials marked with a lock icon require logging in
Me, Meatrix and Meat
Activity / 45 min.
- increase their awareness of living conditions of animals in factory farming
- think about healthy and unhealthy food
- develop their communication skills in English
Red or Blue?
Activity / 60 min.
- talk about where our food comes from
- understand a foreign languge text
- form thoughts in a foreign language
Where Does the Food Come From
Activity / 60 min.
- learn to understand a foreign language text
- form thoughts in foreign language
- learn about food production options
Questions and answers
- factory farming vs. organic farming of animals
- environmetally friendly products
- buying locally produced meat
Jak na reflexi emocí po filmové projekci
- proč je důležité pracovat s emocemi, které film v žácích vyvolal
- základní metody reflexe: Jedno slovo, I.N.S.E.R.T., Pětilístek
Jak pracovat s audiovizuálními materiály
- instruktážní film
- rady a doporučení
- obecné aktivity
- practice of vocabulary in the following areas: farming, animals, food
- thinking about the food industry and eating habits
- increasing an awarness of the problem of industrial breeding
Accompanying and recommended materials
Webpages of the Meatrix film
Learn more about the issues from the film
World Wide Fund for Nature
Carbon Footprint Calculator and other useful resources
Eat Less Meat
Project Food Right Now
Educational material describing hunger issues in the global context - česky
Tim the Grocer
Interactive game on eco label recognition - in English